Felipe de Castro. Attributed to
(Nova [?], 1704/1711-Madrid, 1775)
Little is known about the early years of Felipe de Castro although it is believed that he was born in the early 18th century in Noya, La Coruña. At a very young age he was apprenticed as a sculptor in various studios. The arrival in Seville of Philip V and Isabella Farnese allowed him to make contacts with the court. In 1733 he left for Rome where he remained for thirteen years studying and perfecting his skills. In 1746 he was summoned to Spain by Philip V to undertake various works for the new Royal Palace in Madrid. Later on he was appointed Court Sculptor by Philip’s successor Ferdinand VI. His highly successful career concluded in 1763 with his appointment as Director of the Academia de San Fernando.