Luis González Velázquez
Born in Madrid in 1715, and after his earlier education with his father, Luis continued his training with some of the masters of Madrid that followed the decorative tradition brought by Luca Giordano to Spain. In his works one can observe an interest and certain mastery of illusionistic architectural painting with the use of the concave-convex concept and trompe l’oeil, which allows him to reach a prominent position in the panorama of the quadratura of the first two-thirds of the 18th century in Spain. His ability will give him the honour to be named in 1745 as the fourth best painter of Madrid, in 1752 individual merit of the Academy of San Fernando, and lastly, in 1758 he achieves his highest recognition, Court Painter of the king. This last appointment is obtained due to a memorial addressed to the sovereign that shows the trajectory of the numerous works for the crown, and the recommendation of Corrado Giaquinto, who submits a report praising Luis ´s work under his assistance in the Convent of the Salesas Reales. In fact, since the arrival of Giaquinto his influence over Luis´s art will be more than evident, the works imbued with light colours and brilliant forms from the rococo.