(Salamanca, 1748-Madrid, 1814)
Antonio Carnicero was born in Salamanca in 1748. A painter, draughtsman and engraver, he belonged to a family of illustrious 18th-century Spanish artists. In 1749 the family moved to Court in order to work for the monarchy on the sculptural decoration of the Royal Palace. In 1760 Carnicero moved to Rome with his brother Isidro, where he remained for six years, perfecting his drawing technique and focusing on the copy of classical sculptures and the works of the great painters of the past. In 1766 he returned to Madrid and embarked on his studies at the Academia de San Fernando, winning several prizes. In 1755 he was involved, under the direction of José del Castillo, in the execution of cartoons for tapestries for the Cabinet of the Princess of Asturias in the royal palace of El Pardo. From 1781 onwards he also produced various paintings for the series of panoramic views of ports, roads, bays, islands and shipyards in Spain, commissioned by Charles III. In 1788 he was made an Academician of the San Fernando Academy and in 1796 he was appointed Court Painter to Charles IV. From that date onwards he executed a large number of portraits of members of the royal family, either in the form of canvases or prints.